Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The other day I was thinking, when getting to know one another, people often ask what kind of music that person likes. I think it should also be a fair question to ask what type of art one likes.

You could answer in terms of subject matter: realistic or abstract, figurative or non-figurative. By media: sculpture, painting, photography, ceramics, etc. Or movement: impressionism, post-impressionism, cubism, pop art, icons, conceptual art, etc.

you know what I mean? It just seems a little unfair to only apply this type of question to music. I guess you could apply it to drama, poetry and literature as well. Possibly this is a question of why are we so caught up in music when there are so many other forms of art/entertainment to discuss.

I just don't feel like knowing what kind of music a person likes gives you a well rounded idea of who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment